1.04.2009

Bran Muffins (6 weeks)

My Mother-in-law made these. I have gestational diabetes and this was the first time I got a good "sugars" reading for breakfast without meds. I ate it with a slice of ham and a Clementine. I think all the fiber balanced everything out. They are really good. This makes a huge batch. It is from a make a mix book she has she used when my husband was a kid. It makes 60 muffins. You make the mix and it actually gets better with time in the fridge. She then can make 1/2 doz for Sunday breakfast for 6 weeks (my own feeling is I wouldn't push it over a month but I am a little paranoid even though the book says they are fine for 6 weeks).
Combine:
1 C. oil
1 C. sugar

add:
4 eggs beaten
1 quart Buttermilk

Boil:
2 C. water
then add:
4 C. whole bran cold cereal (All-Bran)
Take off heat and let sit for 5 min.

Mix:
2 C. 40% bran flakes (Raisin bran is good, remove raisins)
1Tbsp Salt
5 tsp. Baking soda
3 C flour
2 C Whole wheat flour (I am sure you could do all whole wheat although I would only do 4 1/2 C total since whole wheat absorbs more liquid).

You can add raisins each time you cook them (although they are great without).
Cook for 15 to 20 minutes at 400.

3 comments:

Matt & Heidi said...

can someone please tell me if this recipe needs baking powder? I tried to make them and they are a bit on the flast side.

Kira said...

I AM SOOOO sorry!!!! I left off the 5 tsp. Baking Soda. PLEASE forgive me. Add it for the rest. I made the change.

Matt & Heidi said...

Thanks Kira!!! I added it and it made a WORLD of difference! Thanks for responding...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...