5.22.2009

Chicken Stir-Fry

I've recently joined a produce co-op and in our latest pick up I signed up to get the asian pack which included bok choy, garlic, sugar snap peas things like that. I've never eaten bok choy, so why not try it now, right! Well, in trying to figure out what to make, I decided to use a sauce recipe I found from my friend's blog that was KILLER, and use it for this mis-mash of ingredients and dub it my stir-fry. I decided to double the sauce recipe this time, big mistake because it was WAY too saucy and got really dark. So just follow the regular directions below for best results!!

Click HERE for Holly's original Bourbon Chicken recipe that is equally as delicious!

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. sugar snap peas
4 oz. fresh button mushroooms sliced
1 large red bell pepper, julienned
5 whole leaves of bok choy, thinly sliced

I didn't measure any of the veggies, so that's entirely subjective, but here's the recipe for the sauce:

1 garlic clove (minced)
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I half this because of my kids)
¼ cup apple juice
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
½ cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Thinly slice chicken breasts, and dust them lightly with cornstarch. Heat oil in large frying pan and fry chicken bits in batches until lightly browned over medium-high heat. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels and set aside. Leave the remaining oil in the pan and add the veggies to the pan. Saute for 5 minutes til crisp tender.

In a blender combine all sauce ingredients and blend for about 10-15 seconds. Strain the mixture into the frying pan and bring to a boil. Add chicken bits back to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce has thickened and reduced almost completely to thick glaze over chicken and peppers. Serve over hot steamed rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...