5.08.2009

Dinner on a Dime


First you can CLEARLY see I am not a food stylist, but you get the idea. About a year ago I went a month with only cooking new recipes. I am doing that again so there may be a great many new posts. Last night I tried THREE new recipes for dinner. I was pleased with all of them. Here is a run-down. Also I need to point out this dinner was CHEAP!!! The pork chops were totally moist and good but only 99 cents on sale at Smiths/Kroger. These also were all very easy. I had the whole meal on the table in under an hour.
I love Teriyaki marinade but I think it is a little pricey to buy. I was THRILLED when I found this marinade on Tried and True with Heidi If you haven't visited Heidi, it is a must.
Here is her marinade, I used the pork since I wanted to try it out before I committed to steak. I think it would be great on Chicken as well.
TERIYAKI SIRLOIN STEAK
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground mustard
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
1- 1 1/2 lb. sirloin steak
In a big zip loc bag, combine first 6 ingredients; add steak. Seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 8 hours and grill until meat it done to your liking. Baste with marinade while cooking and then throw away what you don't use.
I also did the Roasted Potatoes off of Real Mom Kitchen she is another must check out. She topped them off with cheese. I did not. I thought they were great without.
Onion Roasted Potatoes
2 Lbs. Potatoes
1 (1 oz.) Package Dry Onion Soup Mix
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil(shredded cheese for the non-weight watcher version)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes, then cut into chunks. Place the potatoes into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour the olive oil on top of the potatoes and stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle the onion soup mix on top and stir to coat the potatoes. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. If they start to get too brown before they're tender, you can lay a piece of foil across the top of the dish. (Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese for the non-weight watcher version)
Serves: 6 (each approx. 4 ounces cooked)Per Serving: (if no cheese is used) 173 Calories; 5g Fat (24.9% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 432mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Fat.
Lastly I am always looking for a good roll recipe for Thanksgiving etc. This recipe reminds me of Pan de Sal if you have been to San Diego and have had the opportunity to eat that. These rolls were very easy. The have a SMALL jiffy cake mix in them but they are not really any sweeter then regular rolls. This was also at Heidis site.
CAKE MIX DINNER ROLLS
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 1/4 cups flour
1 (9 oz) Jiffy cake mix, white or yellow
1/4 cup melted margarine
2 eggs whites, beaten
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes). Stir in cake mix and flour and mix until smooth. Knead dough on flour covered counter until not sticky. Turn into oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour). Deflate and turn onto floured surface. Divide into 2 and let rest 5 minutes before rolling out into 12 inch circles. Using pizza cutter, slice into 10 portions per 12 inch circle. Brush with butter and roll up into crescent shapes. Place on greased baking sheets and brush with butter and beaten egg whites. Cover and let rise 25 minutes, or until doubled. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.

1 comment:

Amara said...

Looks good. I'm looking forward to trying the teriyaki, and the rolls (I know I'll get some for Thanksgiving even if I never get to them).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...