6.24.2009

Enchilada sauce

I am on a make everything by scratch kick. Last night I tried my own enchilada sauce. It was SO good and about 1/4 the price of the regular stuff.

Red Enchilada SauceIngredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 T flour
6 T chili powder (I used 3 T reg. chili powder and 3 T pasilla de ancho powder)
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, pureed in blender or food processor until smooth
1 (14 oz) can of chicken broth (or just under two cups)
1 t ground cumin
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion salt
Directions: Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning the flour. Gradually stir in pureed tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices into flour and chili powder until smooth. Continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
**This makes a large batch. I used it to make a 9" x 13" pan of bean burros with red sauce and had 1 pint left over. The sauce is so yummy and really good mixed in with the pureed beans and served as a bean dip.
Thanks to Amy at Sisters Dish for this keeper.

2 comments:

Likes Chocolate said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. I have been on a make everything from scratch kick too. It is sometimes hard to find enchilada sauce in the can from scratch where I live. Then also I don't mind it being a little spices, but not my kidos. I will try this recipe.

Cameron & Cecia Ferrin said...

This is a great base, I also make a homemade enchilada sauce except I buy dried California chilies (usually in the ethnic food section..about $2 for a big bag) I use about 4 of the dried chilies and boil them for about 2 minutes. Then I pull them out slice them down the middle take the seeds out (if you leave some in it will spice it up more) Use some of the water from boiling them and about a can or two or tomato sauce (to taste, the more the sauce the less spicy) blend them in a blender for about 30 seconds until desired consistency . Then add as much other flavor you want to is - I usually do garlic, onion, blended. Anyway, it might even add more to your base! This is the only recipe of my moms I can actually duplicate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...