10.27.2011

Perfect Candy Corn Cookies

You might want to cover your ears. I can get pretty loud when I start tooting my own horn.

My MIL sent me a link to this recipe for candy corn cookies, which was "perfected" from this recipe by Land-o-Lakes. The "perfected" version came up with a method to keep each of the cookies looking like true candy corns:
white on top
orange in the middle
yellow on bottom.

But her method didn't count on my monumental laziness (ie I didn't want to spend the time making fancy cookie dough then still be required to dip them in yellow candy melts to make them look right).

Therefore, I came up with this method that is truly "slice and bake"

Twice-Perfected Candy Corn Cookies
(I used a half recipe)

  • 2 sticks of butter, softened
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons almond extract
  • 2 teaspoons orange juice (or orange extract)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions


  1. Cream together sugar and butter. Add egg, vanilla, almond extract, and orange juice. Whip until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and add slowly to the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
  2. Here is where you have to eyeball it a little. The white part of the cookies will require the least amount of dough. I removed a little less than one third of the dough (white). Then I tinted the rest yellow and removed a little more than one third (yellow). Next I added red to the remaining third (orange).
  3. Afterward, roll the white portion into a log on a cutting board lined with plastic wrap. Then roll out the orange dough into a rectangle that will wrap around the white portion, like this:


  1. Repeat the last step with the yellow to cover the orange layer. Then wrap the resulting log with the plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for a few hours.
  1. Lastly, slice the chilled log into shy 1/2" slices then divide it into 4 wedges. Pinch them into perfect triangles and flatten them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes.
  2. Now go show off for your neighbors just in time for Halloween.
  3. You're welcome.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...