11.15.2011

Rascal Pie - Chocolate Cream Brownie Pie

Here is a pie that I have been thinking about making for years but could never find a recipe. So, finally, I made one up. I wish I had tried this years ago because it is super easy and hits the spot for a chocolate craving. It is based off of a memory I have of eating at Frontier Pies in Provo years ago. I had a pie called "Cow Pie" and remember it being delicious. It was (I think) a chocolate cream pie with a layer of brownies in the bottom. So, that is exactly what I made. I decided to call it Rascal Pie because it is the perfect pie according to my son and I always call him a "rascal pie" when he is being particularly rascally.




Makes 2 pies

2 frozen deep 9" pie crusts or homemade if you like
1 brownie mix made according to directions, divided
1 recipe of chocolate cream (below), divided
whipped cream (try this one)
chocolate shavings or M&M mini's for topping

I made my pies with frozen pie crust, just because I am not super good at homemade pie crust. Mine never are as good as my grandma's and that frustrates me, but that may have more to do with the fact that I do not own a food processor and I am lazy. Anyway, I bought my frozen pie crust and it came in a two pack with was super great considering the proportions. You can make just one pie if you want, but you will be using only half a brownie batch/mix and half a recipe for the chocolate cream, but it has been done. Why not make two and give one away?



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fork your pie crusts. Make your brownie mix according to directions. Split brownie batter evenly between the two pies. Cover the edges of the crust with foil or a pie crust shield to avoid burning. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the brownies are done. Allow to cool completely.





While your brownies are baking, you can begin chocolate cream. This needs to cool before you put it in the pie, so the soon you start, the sooner you can eat it.

Once brownie-crust and chocolate cream are cooled, divide the chocolate cream evenly between the two pies.



Top with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings or M&M's if you like. If you would like to use a long lasting whipped cream, so it is easier to make ahead try out this recipe: Perfect Whipped Cream.



Chocolate Creme
Source: King Arthur

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream, divided
2 cups milk

Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart mixing bowl; set aside.

In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks

Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.

Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens; boil for 1 minute

Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the reserved chocolate and butter.

Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.

Pass the filling through a strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps.

Place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly.

2 comments:

Kendee said...

This pie is so good. Everytime I make it, it gets raving reviews.

Frugs123 said...

Hi there, I made your chocolate cream pie recipe tonight and only needed 1 pie and so I cut the chocolate cream part in half but used 2 egg yolks. I put into fridge and feel like it's on the thin side. It has probably been in there about an hour or so.. do you think if just needs more time in the fridge to firm up? I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...