1.22.2012

CHEWY GRANOLA BARS

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/4 cups rice cereal
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use almonds or walnuts)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used white)
1/4 cup craisins/raisins (OPTIONAL)
2 Tbsp. flax seed (OPTIONAL)
1 tsp. cinnamon (OPTIONAL -- I don't like cinnamon, so I don't put it in)


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add honey, vanilla, egg: mix well. Gradually blend in flour, baking powder and salt. By hand, literally, stir in remaining ingredients.

Press firmly in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. The edges will be golden brown and the center needs to be set (like a cookie). Cool and cut into bars!

Note: I like to use the convection setting on the oven as often as possible to speed up baking time. I baked this on convection bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend made some of these for after school snacks and my kids were in heaven. So, I got the recipe and tweek'd it to my liking. Feel free to do the same. If you like regular chocolate chips in your granola bars, or if you like cinnamon and raisins you could adjust it that way too.

This is my second batch of granola bars. My first batch was eaten before any pictures could be taken.

2 comments:

Kara Jones said...

these bars look so so good, Great pictures too, I think I smell the bars just by looking at the pictures. yes, yes I can smell them, A++ Aimee these look awesome. Now I gotta get Q to bake em' for me.

Beth A said...

Could I use all oats?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...