3.07.2012

"Oh My!" Chocolate Pie

This chocolate pie is a true sheep in wolf's clothing. And yes, you read that right.

My Hubb's co-worker originally made made it for us as a "thank you" following this Alton Brown recipe. I decided to pace myself because it was so rich and decadent I was sure it was 90% heavy cream. The next day Danny asked her for the recipe and found out it was dairy-free and made with tofu......and 1/2 cup of coffee (rather than coffee liqueur). I was absolutely shocked about the tofu and disappointed about the coffee since we don't drink it. Needless to say I cried a little as I dumped the rest of that pie into the garbage.

I remade it as fast as humanly possible. This pie has a texture somewhere between a chocolate mousse and a chocolate cheesecake. It got rave reviews from my toughest critic.

Below is my version of this recipe.
I adapted it to make a larger batch based on the actual package sizes of the ingredients it calls for (I love Alton Brown, but I prefer easy measurements to a kitchen scale).


Ingredients
one 24-oz package semisweet chocolate chips
1 to 2 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 to 2/3 C. Almond Milk (regular or vanilla)
two 14-oz packages soft, silken tofu, drained and blotted on a paper towel (I have found this at Sprouts for less than $2 each)
2 Tbl honey
2 to 3 prepared graham cracker crusts (made 2 large and 6 mini pies with one recipe)

Directions
Place enough water in the bottom of a 4-quart saucepan to come 1 inch up the sides. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Melt the chocolate chips with the almond and vanilla extracts in a medium metal bowl set over the simmering water, stirring often with a rubber or silicone spatula.
Combine the tofu, almond milk, chocolate mixture and honey in a blender or food processor (the blender will get it the smoothest!) and spin until smooth, and I mean really smooth about 1 minute or so. Pour the filling into the crusts and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling sets firm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...