7.12.2012

Irish Chowder


I got this yummy little recipe while living in San Antonio. I was asked to make it for a big women's dinner. It is really a potato soup with a cheese sauce. This particular recipe also adds diced ham and creamed corn. I have made it a few times since I first followed it exactly and what I really like is how easy it is to change around depending on what I have on hand and what kind of mood I am in. But the main thing I use it for is for making a simple creamy potato soup.

2 c. diced potatoes
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
1/4 c. diced onion
2 c. boiling water

Combine vegetables (large dice) and water in a pot. Simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are properly tender. Do not drain unless you want thicker soup (I never drain). While simmering, start your cheese sauce.

10 oz. pkg Velvetta cheese cubed (or 10 oz. cheddar cubed)
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
1 can cream corn (or 1 can corn, drained)
2 c. diced ham (or some cut pieces of cooked bacon)

Melt butter, add flour. Add milk, salt and pepper. Stir over medium to medium high heat. When thickened, add cheese. Stir over low until melted.

Pour cheese sauce over vegetables in pot. Add corn and diced ham. Heat through.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...