9.29.2012

Caramel for Apples


Green and red apples with caramel for dipping.

I LOVE the fall! I just got out all my fall decorations and that put me in the mood for some caramel for apples. Making caramel apples is always fun, but I prefer to slice my apples and dip each bite myself! So, I made some caramel for apple dipping. Here is the recipe, I got it from my friend Jana Holmes, but I think it is a very common recipe.

1 c. karo syrup
1 lb. package brown sugar
1/2 lb. margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk

In a medium saucepan, combine corn syrup and brown sugar. Heat of medium high heat, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and boil together for 3 minutes. Take saucepan off the stove and add margarine, vanilla and sweetened condensed milk. Place back on the stove and bring back to a boil while continuing to stir.

Serve with sliced apples.

You can also try serving this caramel dip along side this fruit dip and chopped walnuts or pecans. It is an amazing combination for making apple sundaes.

Here are some pictures I took along the way, in case they help.


Ingredients.


Boil sugar and syrup for 3 minutes.


Boiling sugar and syrup.


Add sweetened condensed milk, margarine and vanilla.


Bring back to a boil.


Let those kids get to dipping.


Happy snacking.

I was going Visiting Teaching that day and to our school open house, so I decided to package some up to give away. My little one helped me! We filled half-pint jars with carmel, topped them with an apples and bagged them with a bow. So easy!


Washing jars for the caramel dip.


Green apple with caramel.


Red apple with caramel.

2 comments:

Robin said...

This looks so yummy and I love your presentation for Visiting Teaching gifts. Going to make this to give away and I'm totally copying your cute idea! ...can I use butter instead of margarine?

Rachie said...

You are so talented. I miss your cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...