2.20.2013

Chocolate Granola


This granola is delicious. I'm not going to pretend that I store it in mason jars tied with twine for everyday use so I didn't stage a photo shoot to that effect. However, I did manage to snap a quick pick of this handful on its way to my mouth. Go me.

I've got a rockin chocolate granola recipe from a friend which calls for lots of butter and more sugar and honey. It's basically no-bake cookie clusters that I eat with yogurt and call a "healthy breakfast." I've made it several times but I was looking to lighten it up and make it on the stove. I really don't like stirring and turning things in the oven since its low to the ground, its hot and I have a kiddo who runs right through my narrow kitchen without looking where she's going. I know there are ways around that, but what can you do. I'm a whiner. Hence, this non-oven recipe:

Chocolate Granola

  • 2-3 T. Olive or Coconut Oil (can be toasted without oil as well)
  • 5 C     Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 t.  salt
  • 1/4 C  Coconut Oil
  • 1/4 C  Honey
  • 2 T.   Brown Sugar
  • Vanilla, Almond and Butter extracts (1/2 to 1 tsp each), optional
  • 1/4 C  Peanut Butter
  • 1 C     Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1 C     Pecans, toasted
  • 1/2 C  Sunflower seeds, roasted and salted
  • 1 C     Date pieces/nuggets (Cranberries or Cherries work great, too)
Use the biggest skillet you've got. 

Toast your Oats and Salt in Oil over medium heat, stirring constantly. When sufficiently toasted and fragrant remove them to a large pan or baking dish.

In the skillet combine Coconut Oil, Honey, Brown Sugar and extracts on low to medium heat. When its dissolved and just starting to bubble add Peanut Butter then Chocolate Chips. Stir constantly so you don't burn the chocolate. When it's smooth and just starting to thicken (about 1-2 min) return the Oats to the pan and add Pecans and Sunflower Seeds. Stir it well for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the Dates and return it to your baking dish to cool. 

Eat by the sloppy fistful or in a bowl with cold almond milk or yogurt.

Store the rest in an airtight container.

[I made this granola on the stove top, but it could easily be converted to an oven-cooked recipe.]


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...